Monday, September 24, 2007

Gates Essay 5

Discuss a leadership experience you have had in any area of your life - school, work, athletics, family, church, community, etc. How and why did you become a leader in this area? How did this experience influence your goals?

When I was a child, my home was shattered. I lost both of my parents to the world at the age of six. My father, having divorced my mother, moved out of our home. My mother went to her friends and alcohol to help ease the war raging within her. When they were out trying to pull themselves together, my siblings and I were left to our small village for guidance.

Through the hard times and abundant good times, my siblings and I have stuck together. In a way, I, being the oldest girl of the four of us, had become a surrogate mother. Although I could never give them an actual mother’s love, I looked after my two older brothers; made sure they did not get into too many fights. I helped my sister through the toughest lesson of being a girl: boys. And yet, I still managed to live a wonderful childhood myself.

In many ways, I could never measure up to what an ideal mother was. Although I tried and did my best, I was never meant to be their mother. It was not the role I was meant for and futilely and foolishly, that made me try even harder to be what I was not.

As we grew older, my brothers became more distant and my sister seemed to no longer need my help. At the time I did not understand what was happening. I tried to hold us together with the strength that I was given but it seemed that I was not fully developed. With one last regret, I let go. I let them move on with their lives. Now that I think back on that time, I see that even though I was a somewhat surrogate mother, I still had a mother’s disposition to hold on to her children. I did not realize that I was no longer needed to fill that role. It was during the time that I let go that I was able to return to what I really was, their sister.

With the past a well-learned lesson, my mother returned home and my father made a home for himself in Albuquerque. To this day I try and help my siblings in any way possible, from getting them up in the morning for school to setting a good example even the oldest can look up to. I still manage to fulfill my natural roll as annoying younger sister and seemingly wise older sister. This has taught me to cherish who I am and to do everything I can to protect my small family. I have been a peacemaker and the butt of every embarrassing memory but what I am most proud and honored to be is this family’s leader.

No comments: