Monday, September 24, 2007

Gates Essay 3

Briefly describe a situation in which you felt that you or others were treated unfairly or were not given an opportunity you felt you deserved. Why do you think this happened? How did you respond? Did the situation improve as a result of your response?

I have been faced with challenges just like the next person. These challenges may not be as great or as world changing, but they are my challenges so they are special to me. I have made many mistakes. I have been so smart that I’ve been called dumb. My family can tell many stories when I’ve been less then brilliant. Whenever they get together, there is always at least one story of my stupidity, even though every one was there to witness it. However, they will never be able to recall my worst mistake. My character had been tested; I had been challenged and I had failed.

One day after school, when I was about ten, a few of the neighborhood kids stopped by my house after school. My older brother, Lee, was setting up his new Play Station to play, while my younger sister, the other children and I made snacks. My oldest brother, Angelo, walked in and wanted to play too. My brothers got into an argument over who would play first, which was not uncommon since my parents divorce but that day was different. That day, things got violent. After realizing that talk was not getting him any closer to playing, Angelo hit Lee to the ground. I was shocked because we never abused each other. We had seen enough of that kind of abuse when my parents were still together and did not wish to repeat it.

In the stunned silence, Angelo kicked Lee against the wall and continued to kick him. I was frozen. I could only watch as my strong oldest brother beat my sensitive older brother. Angelo realized what he was doing and stopped. It was then that I came back to myself and I did the only thing my belated reflexes would allow. I cried and ran. I ran to my grandma’s house and told her what had happened. She then took the situation in hand and dealt with the matter.

I knew what had to be done. Being the oldest there, excluding my brothers, I should have acted sooner. The responsibility was mine to keep everyone safe, but I did not. For my hesitance, my brother Lee has one more emotional scar on top of so many others. I had the ability to protect my older brother as he has protected me so many times and I could not do it. I saw a loved one in pain and I froze. This is just another tender memory that brings a wave of shame, hurt, and anger as its shadow. I learned and made it my life-long goal never to freeze like that again when others need help.

Through all my choices, the weightless feeling of the good and all the heartache that came from the bad, I have been able to grow as a person. I believe a person can learn from failure, just as I have. Although this memory is painful, with out that choice I would not be the person I am today. If this memory does anything, it ensures that no one else will be hurt if it is within my power to stop it. Until I can be able to forgive my self, that will have to do.

No comments: