Monday, September 24, 2007

Gates Essay 1

Discuss the subjects in which you excel or have excelled. To what factors do you attribute your success?

Of all the courses I have taken during my educational career, English would have to be the subject in which I excel. I feel enjoyment in reading and writing. These joys have been learned from others and have been self-taught. I discovered such joys when I was young. I have kept them growing along side me; from childhood to young adult. After a time I found that I could use such hobbies as strengths in my schoolwork. Now, in the present, I can see the full potential of childhood hobbies. More then ever I seek to make what has become passable into wonderful.

I was so proud that I could make out the words when I first began reading that I found that I could not stop. Writing came soon after and had the same effect. When I began to dislike the outcome of the story, I changed the books I read to fit my own personal entertainment. Soon after I started to make up my own stories. I have never been able stop turning simple everyday actions into words in a gripping tale. Since it has become apparent that my family grew tired of such narrations, my tendency is to keep them in an everlasting story within my mind. My hope is to one day be able to copy them down on paper to share with others in a chance to inspire them as I have been.

Thoughtful by nature and poetic by choice, I understand English because I cannot comprehend its vastness. I see English as a living entity that connects anyone who hears and understands it. I once had to give a presentation to my English III class and during the speech I began to go on about how we are connected through, not just English, but also any language. About three minutes into my lecture, I realized that the English language had taken a few members of my audience and my self away to the tip of its vastness. Although I trip once in a while on all the rules and minor errors, I know that I can get my audience to understand.

Many teachers have told my that my writing is still ignorant but has potential to become something great, like a power that only needs to be tamed. My family members have told me that I live my life though books and it is unhealthy - that I live in a world completely my own, where only things that I say exist roam. As my reality became shattered when I was young, I agree that I have retreated unto myself. It is a habit that I am currently trying to break. What once started out as a hobby became more so, both actions have become my source of comfort, my escape.

Like life itself, my childhood shadow will evolve yet again. What had started out as a simple hobby evolved into my escape. Now, my reading and writing is more intimate. Through discipline that I truthfully admit I do not have, I will make both actions better. I will read more compelling nonfiction and write stronger works of literature. Perhaps, one day see all the growing and enjoyable work come to a lucrative end.
I would have to owe my success first to my mother. She read to me when I was very young and it was then that I was captivated by the English language through the weaving of stories and other’s thoughts. She also wrote for a hobby. Mostly, she wrote about how she was feeling at the time and letters to no one. She used her natural gift to help her siblings when they could not comprehend what a job was asking in a resume. She has been through many jobs in her lifetime and every time she has held an important position. She claims that she owes her success to her presentation of herself and her excellent English comprehension.

I also owe my thoughtful and emotional nature to my success. My siblings and I often get into heated discussions over matters that seemingly have no meaning. We have taught ourselves, with the help of each other, to question everything. Although this does not help our trusting disposition, it has taught us to think. I have thought about anything that has happened to me, to someone I know, something’s that could happen, and many other things that has allowed me to learn. My emotional nature has showed me how to speak and write about feelings with sincerity. Lying in my work is an impossible act for me. I cannot help but place a bit of me into everything that I do. Although this has landed me in some awkward circumstances at times, it has also taught me to think upon those circumstances and learn from them.

More than any other course, I feel confidant and secure in English. I know that my errors are small but many and I have been trying to overcome that flaw but when I start to write, I just have to get it all out or it may be crushed by my other thoughts. I can honestly say that I have had many clever ideals but could not get them out fast enough before they were lost. I know that there is still much to learn about my favorite course and I look forward to every second that teaches me even more.

When looking back, my writing and reading seem like childhood friends; simply loyal, understanding and nonjudgmental. Just I have, these friends have grown. For now, I shall hold on to these moments of pure wonder and haven. As with all teenagers, my writing is currently revolting, unbalanced and without structure; parallel to the genera reading I am currently indisposed with. Over time and a whole lot of self-discipline, both enjoyments will become full of false wisdom, a comfort to their minions and model citizens. The future seems bright with possibilities for both of us.

No comments: