Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Conversation on Native Language

The following is a conversation between a good friend of mine and her friend from over the summer. Names have been changed for the protection of the individuals involved and mentioned. Permission for this republication has been granted through the recipient.

Q:
i was just thinkin, cos i'm procrastinatin on some readins [BUT i've been zoomin on my paper] about navajo language.

so, i've met a handful of natives here at ua, of course a lot being navajo, and i think that it's really interesting that among the first "getting to know what kind of native you are" qs that are asked is: "do you speak your language?"

there's such a fluidity of this question, which strangely enough, i've only heard come from navajos.

this makes me wonder: how prevalent/encompassing is learning the language embedded in the mind of the young navajo student & why is this question asked? is it guilt, judgement, genuine interest, etc...

also: it makes me curious as to how much information is presented about OTHER native languages, because the people i've been talking to are always so shocked when they realize the size of my tribe & that the language is nearly dead.

anyways, i thought i'd bring it up to you, since you're one of the only other weirdos i can talk to about crap like this...

time to get back to some cherokee readings!!
miss you!

A:
Hey! This is great stuff. Man I am so curious and it seems to me that my theory of Navajo students being unaware is irrelevant in terms of classifying all younger generational students into one category. I definitely feel that there is a geographical difference, such as being closer to the southwest and being away from your homeland. I know that all the Navajos at Brown are not likely to ask those questions, unless I ask them. Another possibility is that the students who do go on to higher education may have a better understanding of their identity and how language is a part of that in terms of "being Navajo".

Also, the issue of not knowing about other tribes like yours may be just plain ignorance or comfort because most tribes surrounding Navajo land are still big and have some degree of a native language community. I would say that you need to let them know that some other tribes have specific reasons of why they do not speak their native languages. It is not like they just don't want to or don't care because each tribal group has been "colonized" or "assimilated" in harsher manners. So keep up the good work and I do really miss talking to you about these issues. I am writing my thesis on generational differences and social stigmas among high school students on the Navajo Nation, specifically my interlocutors of Navajo Prep School.

Lastly, one reason I ask if some speaks Navajo: is because if they do then more then likely we will have the same back ground, in terms of childhood memories, etc and we usually have a bond from that. ---> like D-man and I (just an example) So I hope that your group does not call the night before again and have fun! Luv you and I Miss our engaging conversations. Stay Intense! :) I have class now and hopefully this makes sense. I am typing really fast lol Peace!

No comments: