Friday, April 21, 2006

A Leader To Be Proud Of

When I was a child, my home was shattered. I lost both of my parents to the world at the age of six. My father, having divorced my mother, moved out of our home. My mother went to her friends and alcohol to help ease the war raging within her. When they were out trying to pull themselves together, my siblings and I were left to others for guidance.

Through the hard times and abundant good times, my siblings and I have stuck together. In a way, I, being the oldest girl of the four of us, had become a sergeant mother. Although I could not give them an actual mother’s love, I looked after my two older brothers; made sure they did not get into too many fights. I helped my sister trough the toughest lesson of being a girl: boys. And yet, I still managed to live a wonderful childhood myself.

With the past a well-learned lesson, my mother returned home and my father made a home for himself in Albuquerque. To this day I try and help my siblings in any way possible, from getting up in the morning for school to setting a good example even the oldest can look up to. I still manage to fulfill my natural roll as annoying younger sister and seemingly wise older sister. I have been a peacemaker and the butt of every embarrassing memory but what I am most proud and honored to be is this family’s leader.

No comments: