Friday, May 05, 2006

Off to the Side of a Leader

Someone once told me that I had the potential to be a leader. I have also heard that I am a leader. However, I like to think of myself as a leader with shifting followers. Or even as a Leader for rent, with progress as my payment. As Shakespeare once said, “Some are born to greatness, some achieve greatness and others have greatness thrust upon them” I merely find myself the later of the three.

I don’t think of myself a leader because all leaders have away of being thrust to the side by another. No, I think that I am more of a person who is walking one direction and if a group just happens to be walking the same way just slightly behind me then I will show them the way that I am going. For instance, when I was younger, my cousins and I wanted to go for a nature hike in the mountains behind our home. While the others had their eyes on reaching the peak of the mountaintop, I kept my eyes on our surroundings. I was the first to notice that a rattlesnake was only feet from us. To make sure that no one panicked, I off handedly suggested that we take a look at an interesting looking tree several yards away. When I deemed the situation was under control, I broke the news of the rattlesnake to them as calm as possible, even though I could barely control my own tormented emotions. I then let one of my older cousins take control in leading us back home. The need to be in charge at all times elutes me. If the group or I feel that there is another who is more capable of leading, I will hand them reigns.

My real goal is to walk my own way and if some just happen to follow then so be it. I will never turn my back on someone in need if I can help him or her. If I cannot, then it is my duty to find someone who will. I know what a leader is. A leader is someone who puts their own personal gain and wants behind that of the groups. A leader is a worker for his or her group; they do what is best for everyone. They also know who they are and their morals are strong.

No, I don’t think I am a capable leader. I would be too emotional, inexperienced and lenient. I am still trying to find out who I am. However, I do know what areas that I need work on, so that means I can improve. For right now I am merely an advisor or a brain trust to a real leader. For now, that will do.

No comments: