Friday, May 19, 2006

New Beginning

There have been many sayings about how to write the perfect paper. I have heard a lot of them. Through it all, I see that it is all about the joy of writing. If you louse that, then writing becomes a chore, not an enjoyment. One of the benefits of writing is that there is always ways of improving. Before, I spoke of what part of writing I was good at, what I need work on and my plans to do better. Now, I look to a new beginning. A new path of how I write. I have had improvements. My arguments now have direction and structure, I can put myself in another role and I rediscovered the joy in writing. There has been progress that I still need to work on. Such as my spelling, transitions and the life in my writing. My future plans include writing more, better ideals and planning. Although I have developed my writing, I still have a long way to go before I can truly be pleased with it.

I have been rewarded for my efforts since my last writing report. I have made my arguments cleaner, getting rid of excess material that only weighed down the purpose. I am especially pleased at how I transitioned from my poor Rock’n’Roll argument to my Soda argument. In the Rock’n’Roll argument, even I could not tell what I was saying after rereading it. There was too much of my own voice that I drowned out what was actually being defended. In the Soda argument I spoke clearly and rationally. All I said was what was need Instead of going off and yelling what I believed, I just let the arguments I made to speak for them. I have also learned to have an out of mind experience while pretending to be someone else. In the R.A.F.T.s that were assigned, I learned to be professional in the principal memo about school mascots. Before I was including my own personal beliefs. We were then assigned to write a letter about a character in the book Laughing Boy. Here I felt little restraint in adding my own ideals because of the limited information on the character at the time. I also feel that my enthusiasm in my work has lifted. I believe this is shown in the difference of my first argumentative paragraph, The Writing Process, and another argument, the death penalty in New Mexico. I though that my views were more exuberant in the death penalty, despite the seriousness of the subject. I felt that I could ‘get into’ the subject. It would seem that topic is more important then I had first thought. The benefits will be great in the long run in developing my writing. This has given me a chance to extend my knowledge and skills.

Before, I my weaknesses used to handicap me. Now, through practice and patience I have made progress. Ever since my English teacher gave me a paper with lists of transitions, I have been able to extend my vocabulary in that area. I felt that I did a passable job on my transitions when I wrote the death penalty. I think that is why I got a good grade on the paragraph. It was a vast improvement form my midterm essay on the character Slim Girl from the book Laughing Boy. Another area were progress has been seen by me is my spelling in my short essay Strength in Comfort. There were still a few errors that also included grammatical errors but compared to my memo R.A.F.T. on the mascot change they were an improvement, however slight. Previously, I had said that the life, or enthusiasm, in my writing improved but I still think that there could be even more progress. I felt that my Othello essay was far more lively then my midterm essay. I really felt that that essay was not my best and since then I have tried all that I can to make sure not to repeat history and type an essay like that again. Progress has been painfully slow for me. However, through this experience I have also learned to be patient with myself and with my work. As with all progress, I still have a way to go before I feel that I can comfortably say that I have over come myself inflicted bonds. Only then can I really be free to call myself a writer.

I am not completely without guidance. I have future plans. Well, a rough ideal of where I want my writing to go. I personally feel that I need more ideals. I need fresh ideals and a new insight on topics. I know I could have done better on my third essay of the Gates application, leadership. Before then I thought that I only had trouble beginning an essay but with that essay I had trouble getting my thoughts and feelings onto paper. The experience was new and surprisingly frustrating. So now, I will try to broaden my adventures and look more intuitively at situations. I also hope to be able to write in a verity. From essays to letters in a professional, aloof manner, I want to be able to move from one type of writing to another without losing even a hint of my writing capabilities when I’m at my personal best. I don’t think that it will be an easy transfer from my present ease of writing short, one to two page essays to college essays of over five pages. I think that if I try writing a five-page essay now, I will have less difficulty latter on. Just the thought of writing so much with the fault of procrastination on my side gives me a strange sense of foreboding. Hopefully it will be a concern I will be able to laugh at when I come to that point. I also think that a plan before I write will help. Procrastination is a fault that I cannot seem to over come. I know that if I could only plan ahead of time, then I will be able to bring my writing to a new level. If I could also go back to the work I did in the past and evolve that into a piece of art then I would not need to start from scratch every time I get a writing assignment. For whatever strange reason I cannot bring myself to change my past works. With further though as to why, I might be able to figure out a way to improve works of the past. These new goals just might become my next achievements or at the very least, my progress of the future.

A new beginning. That is how I see my writing going for now. Although I will always have what I learned, for now it will be new experiences. Now my writing will become a young adult, just like I must. Achievements in my arguments, viewpoint and enthusiasm just might be short lived. The progress I’m making in my transitions, spelling and the life of my writing just might take the achievements of today; just like the future replacing the past. Then one day my future plans of fresher ideals, foolproof planning and writing verities will over come my progress now. Wither this is as good as I’m going to get at writing or if the future has bigger and better plans for me, I will continue to write just for the sheer pleasure.

No comments: