Friday, February 10, 2006

Laughing Boy Family Letter

Dear Family,

Hello. I am writing to you because I have been missing you ever since I left To’ Tlakai. It has been four days since I left for this dance. I had no trouble along the way. I stopped at Chinlee for some coffee. Along the way I thought of the perfect bracelet to make once I get some silver. Just before I got to the dance site, I say many Navajos of all ages and could tell it was going to be wonderful.

When I got to the dance I met Jesting Squaw’s Son. We talked of the jail many people are going to. Later on we sang by the fires with the other people. Just when I was getting into the song, a girl wanted to dance with me. I tried to get out of it but she was strong for a thin woman. I finally got away when I paid her ten cents.

The next day, I was in a wrestling match with a thin man that goes by Red Man. He made me feel uneasy, so I challenged him. I bet the silver belt I borrowed and a few dollars against his belt and his money. Jus as I predicted, he was easy to throw over.

Afterward, Jesting Squaw’s Son and me went to find someone to sell Red Man’s ugly belt to. We found two Americans. We haggled for awhile but in the end they bought it for $65. They also gave us smoke before riding off.

The third day we rode to the third site. When the singing began in the night, I could not become one with the song, so I went off to pray. I began to sing. Then the woman from the first night found me and asked me to sing for her. Earlier, I found out her name is Slim Girl. I sang and afterward talked to her. It was short but e both knew what we wanted to do. After she left, I returned to the others and slept.

When I awoke, I set out to find Wounded Face, my uncle and ask him for Slim Girl. He said she is no good and that he will pick the woman for me. I was upset and left to find Slim Girl.

I found her and told her what uncle said. She did not care. Since we are not of the same clan, we decided to go together tomorrow, away form here.

My horse won the horse race, so now I have nearly $200. I will return with Slim Girl and we will be happy and rich together.

Your Family Member,
Laughing Boy

No comments: